Friday, September 26, 2008

OVKA Race #12

The 12th race of the OVKA season would be run on the 2C configuration, where I had practiced several times before and run laps around the 43.9 second zone. So you can imagine how surprised I was when the first time I went out in Saturday practice, I did a 42.8 second lap. Through some tweaking here and there I'd cut .2 seconds off my lap times by Sunday qualifying, where I set down a 42.6 second lap, only .1 of a second off of the extremely quick John Powers. 

I started 4th in the prefinal, but I got freight-trained by 2 karts on the first corner, and was pushed back to 6th. In the next few laps I worked my way back up into 4th, put a wheel off and fell back to 5th, & then regained 4th place again. After I secured 4th, I started to close in on the lead pack, but coming out of turn 1 on about the 5th or 6th lap, I lost all power from my engine.
My first ever engine expiration.

With the help of many fellow karters, I was able to run the 12-lap final with a loaner engine.
I started 16th out of 16, but I wasn't gonna let that stop me. I drove a determined, sometimes crazy race, and in the 12 laps I went from 16th to 6th.

Unfortunately, the officials thought I drove a bit TOO crazy, and I was black flagged.
This race will serve as a reminder that no matter what happens, always keep your emotions in check, before they end up costing you.

No comments: