Tuesday, August 19, 2008

OVKA RACE #9

Race #9 of the ovka season was an interesting one. Partially because it was held under the lights, and partly because a familiar #42 kart stood on pole! I had never started on pole before, and was a little nervous about the start, but when the green lights came on, I took off to the early lead! 3/4 of the way into the race, I still had the lead, and was looking strong. Then, with a few laps left, I was passed to the inside on turn 3. But I wasn't passed by just 1 kart, no. I was FREIGHTTRAINED BY SIX KARTS!

So a 6th place finish in the first prefinal, and now a last place start for the second prefinal, and suddenly the weekend isn't looking so good.

As always I pass a few people on the first turn in the prefinal, including championship leader Emerson Reed. Despite running at the back of the pack, I had a hard time making other passes until Emerson caught back up to me. To say the least, Emerson is fantastic at setting up the late braking passes, but this time he set one up for me, pushing me past another kart going down the back straight. I followed Emerson for the rest of the race, and we both narrowly escaped a close call when my friend Harry D. hit the back of another karter RIGHT ahead of us. I fnish the race in............I acctually don't know where I finished!

I do know that I started the final in 9th though, and that I +was passed twice in the early stages of the race, landing me in a disasterous 11th spot! Even worse was the fact that 12th was breathing down my neck for the entire race. I finshed 11th in the final, and 9th overall for the weekend. A disappointing finish, but a good learning experience.

No comments: